Monday, May 07, 2007

Hot!



Geez it was hot today. A high of 95. I don't think I was quite prepared for the weather. I had some deliverables to deliver to various clients. I rode up to Memorial Hospital to leave a CD of images for their marketing department and rode back home to get into cooler clothes. I then dropped off some black and white prints I made last week for another client. By the time I got there I was beat and my blood sugar had dropped. I felt like I was pedaling uphill even though the road was perfectly flat. The heat just zapped everything out of me. Fortunately, my client offered me some juice and it put enough sugar in my system to get me home.

The riding was great except for a minor incident when I was on 2nd Street in Belmont Shore. Some complete idiot in a white car was trying to pass me with about four inches to spare. I looked over and saw him and started yelling at him to get out of my lane until he backed off. I couldn't believe it. I was well into the lane and coming to a stoplight and he was still trying to pass me at the last second. I don't think most people understand how dangerous it is to pull off those maneuvers.

I was half tempted to get off my bike and block his way and explain in loud plain language why what he did was so completely unncessary and dangerous. Sometimes I fantasize about mounting a paintball gun on my handlebar for exactly these occasions.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I've dreamed about this for some time, too. I'd like to all bike commuters get paintball guns, and then at the end of the week the cops would count the number of shots on each car and the person with the most would lose their driving privileges for a month.

As a photographer, though, you could take pictures of the malefactor cars and post them on your blog... ;)

nollij said...

That's IT! You gotta mount a camera on the handlebars so you can shoot the offending car license plates and then post them in your own little "wall of shame". At least other cyclists will know who to look out for!