Friday, June 27, 2008

Leica old times...

Hired by the Long Beach Museum of Art to shoot an event tonight. Took a portrait of photographer, William Livingston, whose work is on display. Interesting stuff, large format prints of the Port of Long Beach done with pinhole cameras.



I really like the portrait. Simple. Black and white. Available light. Just how I would have done it in my Leica toting days. In lots of ways, the antithesis of how I shoot for the District and OC Weekly.

Speaking of which, heard from Dave Wilenga (the writer of the story) that he hear from Joel (the subject of the District cover below) that he dug the cover. Always good news. It was a little dramatic and not flattering in the traditional sense, but it really communicated what the story was about. Some subjects think photography is all glamor and beauty, but I like a nice hard-lit photo now and then...

No comments: