Monday, September 10, 2007

Back to reality...

It has been a week since I've been back from tour. I've been trying to hold on to that ethereal magicical feeling you get when you travel abroad and have adventures, that sense of being wonderfully connected to a world that is really beautiful.

But it's hard. I think it's called PTD (Post Travel Depression).

I had a shoot this weekend where I was photographing a group for story. It was a posed portrait and I brought out the big guns (my two norman 200Bs and lightstands...an extra 30lbs of gear to carry) so I could light them. Group shots are tricky because you have to arrange the people so it's dynamic and try to capture a moment where everyone is doing something interesting.

Anyway, one person in the group was really not enjoying the session and it was bumming me out. He was getting all huffy and made some snarky comments at the end. I tried to ignore it and just push through. What else could I do? I've photographed a wide range of people from the mayor to kids that live in toughest areas of Long Beach and never had something like that happen. I guess there's a first for everything.

So I'm back. Physically and now mentally. I'm trying to protect the high from the trip like a match in the wind. I don't want to be such a downer but sometimes that's just how it is. Things are a little slow and the trip probably cost a bit more than I could spare financially, but I don't regret doing it.

Back to the grindstone....

No comments: