Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I need your help!

I've entered a competition for a "Dream Photo Assignment." Here's my submission below. Please click on the link and VOTE today! The contest ends April 3rd. Not much time!


I would like to ride a bicycle through North and South America on an ambitious portrait project, photographing the work of community leaders and activists who are striving for a more sustainable planet.

I am a freelance photojournalist in Long Beach, CA and I travel to all my assignments and shoots with a specially made cargo bicycle, able to carry up to 400lbs of equipment.

I have done this day in and day out for the last three years. In this time, I've come to realize that the environment will be the crises of our times. We've become trapped in a circle of consumption that fills our air with smoke and our lands with trash.

There is hope however. There are people around us that are working for a more sustainable way of life in large and small ways.

In the spirit of the work, I want to ride my bicycle across the country and document the work of these people in multi-media portraits combining stills and recorded audio.

SEE SAMPLE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XCltiEW-g

I will bicycle every mile of the journey, making it the first zero emission multi-national photo assignment.

I will seek out local environmental advocates and celebrities, park rangers, bicycle commuters, leaders of co-operative markets, small organic farmers and tell their story.

This is important.

People need to know that there is hope, that around them are others who are working in ways no matter how small or large to make our lives better.

The work will culminate in a website with a series of downloads of the stills and multi-media stories.

It will be the most ambitious zero-emission paperless photography assignment to date.

Let's make it happen.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I voted for you, Russ.

I'd like to say that I've enjoyed your photography ever since I picked up my first issue of the District Weekly. Moreover, once I found out you were a cycling photographer (not only for recreation but for commute purposes) I have rediscovered a passion for cycling.

Thank you for both inspirations.

Laura Crawford said...

I assume you'll need an assistant, right? :)

RussRoca said...

Hey there David! Thanks. Glad that your back on the bike, it's such a fun and practical way to travel!

Laura...I'll definitely need an assistant :)