Monday, December 29, 2008

No Cooler than Kelvin

I did a portrait of Kelvin, the owner of VIP Records in Long Beach, an old school hip-hop store that has been around for 30 years. As I rolled up, the place seemed familiar and it dawned on me that I had been here before about 10 years ago! Back at UCLA I was a huge Pharcyde fan and when I caught wind that they were going to sign copies of Labcabincalifornia, I headed down to the LBC with some friends.



It was a great day (and a great album).



Sadly, Kelvin said that they've taken a big hit with internet downloads and they have had to make money selling various bits of merchandise (Obama shirts were popular). Hope he pulls through. I thanked him for having Pharcyde there 10 years ago. Probably not the biggest act that has ever graced the parking lot of VIP, but my personal favorite.

No comments: