Thursday, December 04, 2008

Canon G10 on a real shoot...



I decided to try the G10 out on a real paying gig today :) I shot a series of images of Tony Cruz, a local professional cyclist for an upcoming website. We shot some candid/PJ style images at his home where I used my D300 and D200. Then we went out to the lighthouse to take some portraits.



The G10 can synch up to 1/2000th of a second! In comparison, my D300 only does 250th. This allowed for a lot of creativity using lights to overpower the sun. In these images, I'm using a single Nikon strobe to overpower the ambient, giving it a slightly surreal and poppy look!



Not bad for a little point and shoot!

9 comments:

Erik Weese said...

Is the G10 fast enough for action shots? Is the noise level too high above 400 ISO?

RussRoca said...

Erik....it's fast enough for SOME action shots...you can improve your chances by changing a few things in the settings....for example:

1)Turn Review OFF - so it doesn't bring preview of the last image you took

2)Pre-focus with Manual Focus - so you don't have to wait for autofocus lag

3)Shoot in JPG - RAW takes half a second longer it seems like

I think the noise is too high (for color) above ISO 200....at 400, BW is barely usable...above, I don't even bother...

Anonymous said...

Excellent for a point and shoot!

Erik Weese said...

Thanks Russ. I think I will wait until cannon puts a larger sensor in this G10 body. I am tired of this Mega pixel race.

AMR said...

Hi!
Found your site by looking "cycling". Loved the photography, a medium that I had a lot of passion for - when film was still ok to shoot. Perhaps I will get a G10 and start all over again.
Cheers.

Dave Webber said...

Nikon strobe with a Canon ps hmmmmmmmm the best of both worlds lol what did u use to fire the strobes off the Canon

Henry said...

Wow, great photos on that Canon! I just purchased a SD700 - a pocket cam. I am really going for the "camera on hand" at all time idea. Hope the pictures will be 3/4 as good on that one!

James Eicher said...

Great blog. And excellent shots of T.C. You definitely conveyed what you were attempting to. Congrats!

Rafael said...

Russ..Stumbled upon your blog while searching for reviews of the G10 and I am pleased to read so much more interesting stuff. Your photos make me want to go back riding my bike again. Ever since our son was born 10 months ago, I've made him my convenient excuse from riding again. Thanks and I hope you don't mind me "blogstalking" once in a while.

Elmer